Digital Art and Design
Find out about our student and faculty highlights, and get the latest updates about the most current news and events in New York Tech's Digital Art and Design Department.
Department of Digital Art and Design
College of Arts & Sciences
16 W 61st St. New York, NY 10023
Students, since they must know the latest technologies, will have as their cutting edge their experiences of creativity. I believe this is formed by their understanding, analyzing, observing, and hands-on experience of the fine arts. Also necessary is the knowledge of what other artists have created by the study of art history. It is a principle of mine to bring the students to a range of cultural and art resources in New York City. Included among these unique experiences are The Cloisters – Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Whitney Museum of American Art, the Picture Collection at the Archive for Research in Archetypal Symbolism, The Guggenheim Museum, and the Metropolitan Opera House.
- Hunter College Graduate School, MFA – Fine Arts and minor in Art History
- Fashion Institute of Technology – Textile Design
- The Circolo School, Pietrasanta, Italy
Selected Residencies, Grants, Awards & Publications
Adjunct Professor Vera Manzi-Schacht has been creating and exhibiting her installation sculptures and videos – including The Memory Palace Series – in both New York and Italy. Recently, Manzi-Schacht has been honored with having her sculpture Remembrance selected to represent the example of terracotta included in the soon to be available art history book Understanding Art by Janetta Rebold Benton and published by Thames and Hudson.
- American Academy in Rome, 2014 and 2009, Visiting Artist and Scholar. Presentation and lecture on her work. Rome, Italy.
- National Endowment for the Arts Grant, Installation and lecture, Dowling College, Oakdale, New York.
- New York State Council on the Arts Grant, Grand Army Plaza, Brooklyn – Exhibit.
- Artist in Residence – Il Palmerino, Fiesole, Italy Exhibition.
- Art and Psyche in Sicily International Conference, Siracusa, Sicily. Presentation and Lecture of work.
- The Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts, Artist in Residence – exhibit, lecture, and honorarium. Olean, NY.
- Queensborough Community College Art Gallery – exhibit and honorarium.
- Creative Time – US Custom House, Artist in Residence Fellowship.
- Queens Museum – Exhibition of work.
- PS I – MoMA Artist in Residence Fellowship.
- Montclair Museum of Art, New Jersey – Exhibition, lecture, and honorarium.
- New York Institute of Technology – AOB Pentimenti: The Past Emerging. An Art Presentation.
- Westbeth Gallery – Sculptors Guild 80 Anniversary Exhibit, New York.
- Exhibit at Denise Bibro Fine Art Gallery, Chelsea, New York.
Recent Projects & Research
- ‘Irish in Italy During the Middle Ages’ paper submitted for publication.
- Sculptors Guild Co-Chair – Education and Presentations.
Manzi-Schacht continues to create her natural-light and terracotta sculptures. She is also involved with working on her video, When the Stars Came Out in Pienza, based on her magic-realist novel.
Courses I Have Taught at NYIT
- Sculpture I
- Sculpture II*
- Drawing I
- Drawing II
- 3D Design
- Color Theory
- Art History I
- Art History II
- Art History III.
*Created by Vera Manzi-Schacht