Digital Art and Design
Find out about our student and faculty highlights, and get the latest updates about the most current news and events in New York Tech's Digital Art and Design Department.
Rozina Vavetsi is a graphic designer, associate professor, and chair of NYIT’s Department of Digital Art and Design. As a designer Vavetsi has exhibited her work in London, Milan, New York, Las Vegas, and Athens. Her work has won various graphic contests (Good 50x70, How Design Adobe Commemorative, Graphic Design USA InHouse Design), and was featured in print and online design publications (Creative Quarterly, Graphic Design USA). Vavetsi maintains a small design studio developing client and personal projects and she is happy to give back to the design community by designing pro bono for the American Cancer Society.
In addition to creating her own work, Vavetsi has taught a wide array of both graduate and undergraduate graphic design courses and she is involved in various academic initiatives such us curriculum revisions, design of new courses, collaborations with local high schools and international universities, panel discussions, etc.
Vavetsi instills her students the notion that graphic design goes beyond pure esthetics and the 2D world and encourages them to apply it in more experimental and complex ways, such as kinetic typography, laser cutting techniques, 3D printing, game interface design and information graphics.
Vavetsi received a Bachelor in Education from the University of Athens, Greece and a Master of Science in Communications Design from Pratt Institute in New York and she is an active member of professional organizations such as the Type Directors Club and AIGA.
- American Cancer Society: Designed invitations, journals and other promotional materials for the “Allan Shedlin” fundraising event. New York, NY. March-May, 2016.
- American Cancer Society: Designed invitations, journals and other promotional materials for the “Allan Shedlin” fundraising event. New York, NY. March-May, 2015. (page 154).
- Sculptors Guild: Designed exhibition catalogue for the “Laws of Attraction” Exhibition on Governor’s Island. New York, NY. June-July, 2015.
- Sculptors Guild: Designed exhibition catalogue for the “Transformation” Exhibition on Governor’s Island. New York, NY. May-June, 2014.
- Biofit and Biofit Academy: Design the branding (logotype, large scale wall decals, banners etc) for a sports and wellness center for high-performance athletes. Athens, Greece. September 2012-May 2016.
- American Cancer Society. Design annual invitations, journals, posters and other collateral materials for the Allan Shedlin Memorial Golf Classic and Wine and Spirits fundraising events. November 2014-present
- Gaia Theater Group. Designed posters and playbill for the theatrical plays: Mama Duo. April 2018
- The Princess Goes to War. May 2018
- Manhasset Schools. Designed posters and t-shirts for theatrical plays and musicals:
- Cinderella. September 2018
- Singing in the Rain. May 2018
- Meet me in St. Louis. March 2018
- The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens. October 2017
- Beauty and the Beast. May 2017
- A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare. January 2017
- Sculptors Guilt. Designed exhibition catalogue for the Exhibition on Governor’s Island.
- Laws of Attraction July 2015
- Transformation. June 2014
- Link Ensemble. New York, NY. Designed logo and invites for a chamber group. April 2009
- Bruce Beasley, San Francisco, CA. Designed banner and posters for the artist’s exhibit at the Shanghai Sculpture Space, China. April 2008
- Metrocaf, New York, NY. Art-directed the postcard and poster design and designed the program for the Metrocaf event. August-September 2008 (metrocaf.org)
- Department of Greek Education. NY, NY. Designed the cover illustration and book layout for Curriculum for the Greek-American Kindergarten. September 2002-December 2008
- Outtivities. New York, NY. Designed logo for a non-profit social networking organization. February 2008
- Kate Beckman, NYC, NY. May Designed and maintained the website for cabaret performer Kate Beckman. 2006-2011
- Primordial Design, San Mateo, CA. Designed the brand and was the information architect for a medical documentation startup. September 2004-2008
Publications or Presentations
- Design Principles and Practices Conference, Barcelona, Spain. Presented Design your Information. March 2018
- Ecole de Communication Visuelle. Bordeaux, France: Taught a 5-day workshop Design Remix on graphic design and typography to a group of undergraduate 20 students. Bordeaux, France. February 2017
- Ecole de Communication Visuelle. Paris: Taught a 5-day workshop Retro Remix on graphic design and typography to a group of 20 students. Paris, France. April 2016
- Ecole de Communication Visuelle. Bordeaux: Taught a 5-day workshop on Information GraphicsRule to a group of 20 students. Bordeaux, France. February 2015
- ArtCom. Casablanca, Morocco. Taught a 3-day workshop Graphic Design Undercover on Information Graphics to a group of 10 graduate students. March 2015
- UCDA National Design Education Summit, Madison, Wisconsin. Presented Design for Better Understanding. May 19-20, 2014
- Ecole de Communication Visuelle, Paris, France. Gave a 5-day workshop on How to Design your Information to a group of 30 students. March 2013
- Design Principles and Practices Conference. Presented “The hidden world of Graphic Design revealed” Los Angeles, CA. January 2012.
- AIGA (American Institute for Graphic Arts). Published “ The Wide Wide World of Graphic Design” article. February 2010.
- Design Principles and Practices Conference, Rome, Italy. Presented Graphic Design: Beyond Aesthetics. February 2011
- University of New Haven, Lectured on The hidden world of Design, October 2011.
- 21st Annual Conference MAPACA, Alexandria, VA. Presented The Wide Wild World of Graphic Design. October 2010
- ATINER Conference. Athens, Greece. Presented the paper Graphic Design Undercover. June 2010
- UCDA National Design Education Summit. Mobile, Alabama. Presented New Curricula for New Times. May 2009
Honors & Awards
- 2018 Graphic Design USA, InHouse Design Awards.
- Award for the POP! (Pieces of Peers-NYIT’s Academic Survey) poster
- Award for the Breaking into the Creative Market promotional poster for NYIT’s interdisciplinary panel discussion. June 2018.
- 2017 Graphic Design USA, American Graphic Design Awards.
- Award for the A Midnight’s Summer Dream poster. October 2017.
- Graphic Design USA, InHouse Design Awards 2016. Received awards for the design of:
- Graphic Design USA, InHouse Design Awards 2015. Received award for the design of invitations, journals and other promotional materials of the American Cancer Society Allan Shedlin fundraising event.
- Graphic Design USA, InHouse Design Awards 2014. Received award for the design of:
- Invitations, journals and other promotional materials of the American Cancer Society Allan Shedlin fundraising event.
- The SOURCE 2014 (NYIT) poster
- Good 50x70 contest. Winner in the Whale Hunting Contest with the poster “Brutal Appetite” La Triennale Gallery, Milan. June 2008.
- Adobe Inc. Winner of the 2006 HOW Commemorative Contest with the Poster “Possibilities” Mandalay Bay, Las Vegas, Nevada. May 2006.
- The Wide Wide World of Graphic Design. Published article on the American Institute for Graphic Arts website (AIGA). February 2010.
- Creative Quarterly, The Journal of Art and Design. Published digital illustration Truth Undercover. Summer 2010.
- Creative Quarterly, The Journal of Art and Design. Published digital illustration Evolution. Summer 2009.
Courses I have taught at NYIT
- ARTC 201 – Graphic Design I
- ARTC 251 – Graphic Design II
- ARTC 301 – Graphic Design III
- ARTG 352 – Editorial Design
- ARTG 351 – Package Design
- ARTG 401 – Advertising Design Problems
- ARTG 302 – Typography
- ARTG 451 – Portfolio
- ARTJ 403 – Information Design
- ARTB 300 – Academic Internship
- ARTG 602 – Design for Print
- ARTG 601 – Content in Design
- ARTG 651 – Interactive Design
- ARTG 603 – Production Issues for Print
- ARTB-601 – Business Practice
- ARTG-751 – Information Design
- ARTU-862 – Thesis Graduate Studio I
- ARTU-872 – Thesis Graduate Studio II
- ARTU 871 – Thesis Paper and Exhibition
- ARTC 801 – Graduate Critique/Thesis Orientation
- ARTB 751—Professional Critiques
- ARTB 702—Graduate Research Assistantship